Pennsylvania; USA (inferred)
Whelk shell beads (white wampum), quahog clam shell beads (purple wampum), cordage
Presented by the Lenape to William Penn (1644-1718), the founder of Pennsylvania, as part of a land sale or treaty in the 1680s; taken or sent to England and kept as property of the Penn family at Pennsylvania Castle, their estate in Portland, England; acquired by John Merrick Head (ca. 1843-1915) in 1887 when he purchased Pennsylvania Castle and its contents; sold at an auction of Penn items from Merrick's estate in July 1916 by Christie, Manson & Woods of London; purchased from the buyer at that sale by Mrs. George (Thea) Heye using funds donated by MAI trustee Harmon W. Hendricks (1846-1928).
63 x 14 cm
Click on the image or the magnifying glass to see a larger view; click again to close the pop-up window. Scroll through Other Images and Media to see other views of this item; click on any image to make it appear in the larger window. Catalog card scans are provided to illustrate the information that originally accompanied the objects. Please recognize that unacceptable or offensive terminology represents historic data and not NMAI's current usage.