probably Plains Cree (Prairie Cree) (attributed); owned and used by the Tsuu T'ina (Sarcee)
Tsuu T'in Reserve (Sarcee Reserve); Alberta; Canada (inferred)
Hide, wool cloth, glass bead/beads, deer hair, cotton cloth, silk ribbon, hide thong/babiche, metal buckle, sinew, thread, rawhide
Sewn, overlay beadwork, stuffed
Given to Jean Mary Cowan (Mrs. Leonard West/Mrs. Robert Isbister, 1912-1998) in 1916 or 1917 by Tsuu T'ina (Sarcee) friends from a reserve near the ranch where she lived with her parents, Cecil M. Cowan and Constance Cowan (1881-1963); kept by Cowan family until 1943, when it was donated to MAI by Mrs. Cowan.
46.00 x 42.00 x 5.00 cm
This item is currently on view at NMAI, DC.
See it in the "Song for the Horse Nation" exhibit on the 3rd floor
Click on the image or the magnifying glass to see a larger view; click again to close the pop-up window. Scroll through Other Images and Media to see other views of this item; click on any image to make it appear in the larger window. Catalog card scans are provided to illustrate the information that originally accompanied the objects. Please recognize that unacceptable or offensive terminology represents historic data and not NMAI's current usage.