This website includes information about selected NMAI object and photographic collections. Access to objects, images, and kinds of information may be restricted due to resource limitations, security, privacy, personal data, confidential proprietary information, object availability, intellectual property rights, applicable restrictions, the wishes of culturally affiliated tribal groups, and protection of archaeological sites.
If you wish to use NMAI images for a school paper or project where only a single copy will be produced, you may use images on this website without charge. However, we ask that you provide the following credit line: Courtesy, National Museum of the American Indian, Smithsonian Institution [catalog number].
In keeping with its stewardship responsibilities, the NMAI—as part of the Smithsonian Institution—will control, monitor, and document all access to and use of its collections and accompanying information. Requests for collections data via this website will be tracked to provide information on usage and better serve future users. Items and information not available on this website may be available on a specific request and approval basis. For more information, contact us.
By accessing this website, you implicitly agree to the following conditions:
- Except as otherwise expressly stated herein, information or images provided may not be reproduced, distributed, or publicly displayed, in whole or in part, without the express written permission of NMAI. To secure permission, contact us.
- Subsets of information, records, or images may be used, downloaded, reproduced, publicly displayed, distributed, or duplicated (but not published) strictly for educational, scientific, scholarly, and other non-profit uses provided that the following attribution appears in all copies: Information provided with the permission of the National Museum of the American Indian, Smithsonian Institution, 4th and Independence Ave. S.W., Washington, DC 20560. (http://www.americanindian.si.edu/)
- NMAI does not grant permission for anyone to use, download, reproduce, publicly display, distribute, or reprint all or substantially all of the information, records, or images from this website.
- Information is provided on an end-user basis: it is provided to users, but should not be passed on to third parties or redistributed, except with approval from NMAI.
- Information from this website must not be regarded as definitive or published. Every effort has been is made to provide accurate information but use of information from this website is entirely at your own risk. NMAI makes no warranty, either express or implied, regarding the completeness, accuracy, or currency of the information or its suitability for any particular purpose. Where use of this data is critical to scientific investigation, scholarly publication, or policy decisions, the user is responsible for verifying any and all information by examination of the items in consultation with NMAI staff and/or other primary data sources. Because NMAI collections information is dynamic and will be continually updated, researchers planning projects based on long-term access to data are encouraged to work directly with NMAI staff rather than relying on a report or printout that represents a single moment.
- Information is provided with the understanding that its use will not be detrimental to indigenous people or cultures, the appropriation of Native traditions and knowledge, archaeological sites, or plant and animal species.
- These materials are provided "as is" for your informational purposes only. By accessing or receiving this information, you agree that the NMAI shall not be liable to you for any loss or injury caused in using, compiling, or delivering the information. In no event will NMAI or contributors of information be liable to you or anyone else for any action taken in reliance on such information or for any consequential, special, or similar damages.